History

The vision of French priest, Fr Jules Chevalier, Missionary of the Sacred Heart (MSC) was that all people would know that God loved them.

 

In 1874, in Issoudun, France, he founded the religious congregation of the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. Together with Sr Marie Louise Hartzer (fdnsc), the first Superior General of the congregation they grew this religious order and encouraged the sisters to embrace the risk of ‘mission without limits’ – so that the love of the Heart of Christ would be known throughout the world.

Your browser does not support Flash content. Please download and install the latest version of the Flash plug-in to view this content.


Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College Bentleigh is one of many OLSH Colleges throughout the world that was established in response to the sisters carrying on that ‘mission without limits’. It was in 1938, that the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart opened the College in order to educate young women in South East Melbourne.

The actual beginnings were as a commercial college for five students in one room of St Paul’s School.  Numbers grew so it subsequently moved to the cottage in Robert Street which had been the original Convent.  In 1951 the first Matriculation (Year 12) class saw the completion of the journey to a Secondary School for girls. Numbers continued to grow steadily as parents from the surrounding parishes of St Peter’s East Bentleigh, St Agnes’ Highett, St Catherine’s Moorabbin as well as those of St Paul’s were choosing it for their daughter’s secondary education.  

Jules Chevalier saw education as a means of reaching young people with the message of Jesus’ personal love for them.  His vision was that they would find in this love the answer to their hopes, their questioning their every need. Then, they in turn, would reach out to share this gift with others.

Regnet Christus
May Christ Reign